Missing teeth can have an impact on your sense of confidence in your appearance, your overall health and your daily quality of life.
Worcester, MA dentist Dr. Robert Gauthier offers options for replacing missing teeth with dentures and partial dentures. Back in the day, they used to look bulky and fake. Today’s cosmetic dentures can provide a natural looking smile that will feel comfortable and restore your mouth’s full function after tooth loss. They are the traditional method of replacing a full row of missing teeth. We can even support them with dental implants for a permanently comfortable fit.
It is important to replace lost teeth as soon as possible. Prevent the development of additional dental problems and preserve the aesthetics of your natural smile. Missing teeth can lead to changes in your oral health, such as:
- Bone loss and jaw shrinkage
- Shifting or weakening of remaining teeth
- Periodontal disease
Types Of Dentures
As mentioned above, you now have a variety of choices to choose from when considering dentures. Russell Street Dental Associates offers three types of dentures, which can be either removable or fixed:
- Partial dentures: A partial denture replaces several missing teeth. Partial dentures can be secured on either side by a dental implant, or natural tooth strengthened by a dental crown.
- Full dentures: A full denture replaces all of the top or bottom row of teeth. They are crafted by a skilled technician using the latest dental technology.
- Implant-secured dentures: This option is basically a full denture that sits on two to four dental implants. Your new denture will be permanently secured with several strategically placed dental implants. This option has the least amount of food restrictions, and does not require the use of denture creams.
Implant secured dentures offer several important benefits for both quality of life and overall oral health:
- Helps to reduce bone loss with several implanted posts which act as tooth roots.
- No need for daily maintenance and use of adhesives.
- Allows normal speech and a healthy, varied diet- no slippage!
Caring For Your Dentures
Good oral hygiene and routine maintenance is important for keeping your new denture functional and comfortable. In addition to visiting with your Russell Street dentist in our Worcester dentist office twice a year for preventive care and routine screenings for gum disease and oral cancer, use these oral care tips for the best result:
- Keep your dentures moist when not wearing them by placing in room temperature water (not hot) with a cleansing solution.
- Brush your dentures daily to remove any food particles and reduce staining from dark foods and beverages.
- Brush your tongue and gums to stimulate healthy blood flow and keep plaque from building up and causing periodontal disease.
If you have poorly fitting dentures, worn dentures or broken dentures, contact Russell Street Dental Associates in Worcester to discuss repair or replacement and restore your dental health. Give us a call at (508) 687-6579, or request an appointment online today.