Missing teeth can have an impact on your sense of confidence in your appearance, your overall health and your daily quality of life.
Worcester, MA dentists Dr. Robert Gauthier and Dr. Meaghan Murray offer options for replacing missing teeth, including dentures and partial dentures. Today’s cosmetic dentures can provide a natural looking smile that will feel comfortable and restore your quality of life after tooth loss.
To prevent the development of additional dental problems and preserve the aesthetics of your natural smile, it is important to replace lost teeth as soon as possible. Missing teeth can lead to changes in your oral health:
- Bone loss and jaw shrinkage
- Shifting or weakening of remaining teeth
- Periodontal disease
Types Of Dentures
There are two types of dentures, both of which can be either removable or fixed:
- Partial dentures: a partial denture replaces several missing teeth, secured on either side by a dental implant or natural tooth strengthened by a dental crown.
- Full dentures: a full denture replaces all of the top or bottom teeth.
- Implant-secured dentures: your new denture will be permanently secured with several strategically placed dental implants.
Implant secured dentures offer several important benefits for both quality of life and overall oral health:
- Helps to reduce bone loss with several implanted posts which act as tooth roots.
- No need for daily maintenance and use of adhesives.
- Allows normal speech and a healthy, varied diet- no slippage!
Caring For Your Dentures
Good oral hygiene and routine maintenance is important for keeping your new denture functional and comfortable. In addition to visiting with your Russell Street dentist in our Worcester dentist office twice a year for preventive care and routine screenings for gum disease and oral cancer, use these oral care tips for the best result:
- Keep your dentures moist when not wearing them by placing in room temperature water (not hot) with a cleansing solution.
- Brush your dentures daily to remove any food particles and reduce staining from dark foods and beverages.
- Brush your tongue and gums to stimulate healthy blood flow and keep plaque from building up and causing periodontal disease.
If you have poorly fitting dentures, worn dentures or broken dentures, contact Russell Street Dental Associates in Worcester to discuss repair or replacement and restore your dental health. Give us a call at (508) 687-6579, or request an appointment online today.