Porcelain veneers have become a popular treatment option for addressing cosmetic concerns AND damaged teeth. They can be custom designed to provide either a subtle or dramatic transformation for your smile. Dental veneers are a versatile and economic option. In some cases, veneers can be used to:
- Correct the appearance of a single crooked tooth
- Repair a crack in a tooth
- Cover deep stains on select teeth to avoid a full teeth whitening procedure
- Repair a chipped tooth
- Close the gap between front teeth
We offer this popular cosmetic dental procedure at our Russell Street dentist office in Worcester, MA. Our cosmetic dentists are experienced and highly trained. We work with patients to help them achieve the smile they desire and to improve their overall dental health in the process.
The Porcelain Veneers Process
Porcelain veneers are made of an ultra-thin ceramic material that reflects light much like a natural tooth. It is affixed to the front of teeth to change its shape, size, or color. You can expect esthetically pleasing results almost immediately after the painless procedure. Our dentists make sure that you leave the office with a comfortable smile.
The high-quality material that is used to fabricate your custom dental veneers is also highly durable and stain-resistant. With proper dental care and good oral hygiene, most patients can expect their porcelain veneers to last a lifetime. The process from start to finish is as follows:
- Consultation and Examination: Dr. Gauthier will meet with you to discuss your concerns, goals, and budget. Your dentist will perform a comprehensive examination of your entire occlusal system (teeth, gums, and jaw joints) to look for any signs of instability that may compromise your results. Then he will create a custom plan unique for your smile. The plan may include preventative measures to make sure that we fix issues that may cause the veneers to be less effective. Dr. Gauthier will never recommend unnecessary treatments and will do his best to work within your budget.
- Preparation: Next, your Russell Street dentist will prepare the tooth, or teeth, to accommodate the porcelain veneers. Impressions of the teeth will be taken for use in creating your porcelain veneers. We will then remove a small amount of the natural tooth structure to allow adequate space for the porcelain veneers to fit securely. This will give the veneers a rough surface to affix to, for a permanent fit.
- Final Restoration: At the final visit, your Worcester dentist will place the permanent dental restorations, make any necessary adjustments for fit, and secure them to the surface of your teeth. Your final result will be a healthy, comfortable smile that also supports lasting dental health.
Schedule A Consultation
If you are considering a cosmetic dental treatment to address a cosmetic or dental health concern, schedule a consultation with our Russell Street dentists in Worcester, MA. Contact our office for the opportunity to learn more about how cosmetic dentistry can benefit you and your dental health. Give us a call at (508) 687-6579, or request an appointment online today.
Porcelain Veneers FAQs
Are there any disadvantages to getting porcelain veneers?
Dental veneers are considered a permanent treatment and are irreversible. Once you commit to having them put on your teeth then you will need to maintain them for a lifetime. Teeth veneers are not indestructible and should be properly cared for. They are susceptible to chipping, breaking, and cracking and will need to be replaced if damaged.
We suggest avoiding hard foods and using your teeth as tools (such as opening items with your teeth). To protect your teeth and help your veneers last a long time, you must be committed to a strict, daily oral hygiene routine and visit your dentist twice a year for a regular checkup.
How do I care for my porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers can only thrive on healthy teeth and gums. To protect them, you must continue with a regular oral hygiene routine. This includes brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing once a day, and visiting your dentist every six months for a routine exam and teeth cleaning. You should also avoid chewing on hard objects such as hard candy, ice, fingernail, etc. This will prevent them from breaking. With proper care, your porcelain veneers should last up to 10-20 years.
Can I whiten my teeth after I get porcelain veneers?
Teeth veneers are unable to be whitened even with professional teeth whitening. If you undergo a teeth whitening treatment then you will risk your teeth being different shades. If you are interested in whitening your teeth, we suggest doing so before having your dental veneers placed on your teeth. This way, the veneers can be colored matched to the surrounding teeth for a more natural look.