Keeping your gums healthy helps keep the teeth healthy, so it’s important to take the necessary steps to keep them protected. There are three stages of Periodontal disease (gum disease): Gingivitis, Periodontitis, and Advanced Periodontitis. During gingivitis, bacteria may cause the gums to become inflamed and irritated. Gingivitis is reversible with proper oral hygiene practices under the care of a trusted dentist. The next stage of gum disease is periodontitis which may result in bone loss, gum recession, and possibly tooth loss. The final stage of gum disease is advanced periodontitis where the infection has caused an increased risk of bone loss and tooth loss. For advanced periodontitis, patients may need to undergo advanced treatment like gum surgery and bone grafting.
Our goal at Russell Street Dental Associates is to provide patients with the tools they need to maintain optimal oral health. Many oral health issues are preventable through proper care and regular visits to the dentist. Keeping your smile healthy requires a partnership between dentist and patients, which is why each of our dentists works hard to establish a strong patient-dentist relationship, high-quality dental care, and a comfortable working environment. At Russel Street Dental Associates, family dentists Dr. Jeffrey Davis, Dr. Robert Gauthier works with you to provide the dental care you need to improve your smile. We offer a wide range of periodontal therapy services, so if you are experiencing symptoms of gum disease, schedule an appointment at our Worcester, MA dental office.
Signs and Symptoms of Gum Disease
If you are noticing any of these symptoms of gum disease, it is vital that you schedule an appointment right away. Letting gum disease progress can cause significant problems in the future.
Signs of Gum Disease:
- Swollen gums
- Inflamed gums
- Sensitive teeth
- Tooth loss
- Shifting teeth
- Sores on the gums
- Receding gum line
Preventing Gum Disease
Gum disease is preventable with proper dental care. At Russel Street Dental Associates, our team of dentists is dedicated to patient education and work with each patient to provide them with the knowledge they need to maintain a healthy smile.
- Brush and floss your teeth. Make sure you are following the proper techniques for brushing and flossing to ensure you are reaping the full benefits.
- Schedule regular visits to our Worcester dental office. Our team of dentists is trained to spot any signs of gum disease or other complex dental problem. Visiting the dentist regularly can help you get the treatment you need and avoid complex, invasive dental treatment.
- Use mouthwash. Mouthwash is a great way to remove leftover debris and bacteria in the mouth. Find an ADA approved mouthwash that works for your teeth. If you are having a hard time deciding, ask one of our experienced dentists for recommendations.
- Avoid smoking and tobacco use. Smoking and tobacco may lead to an increased risk of developing gum disease and other complex dental problems.
- Eat a smile healthy diet. Stay away from sugary foods and beverages because they can lead to the development of plaque which may contribute to gum disease. Find foods that are good for your enamel.